By Tito Mike
Cagayan de Oro and adjacent towns and cities of the growing metropolis are in for a treat as the Cagayan de Oro Symphony Orchestra presents Opera Bonanza on February 28 at the Liceo de Cagayan University’s Rodelsa Hall.
“We will play parts from operas, famous arias and pieces with solo singers, choir and dancers,” said Prof. Horst Hans Bäcker, associate dean of the Conservatory and conductor of the Cagayan de Oro Symphony Orchestra.
“It will be like in the opera all people on stage will act, sing and dance. The orchestra will be in front of the stage. We will have 10 solo singers, a choir of around 70 singers, 40 dancers and the orchestra around 30 musicians,” he added.
The concert is one of the major events commemorating the 68th Founding Anniversary of Liceo de Cagayan University, and as the closing event for the university’s celebration of National Arts Month.
The program includes the following:
1. Abends will ich schlafen gehn HÄNSEL AND GRETEL by E. Humperdinck Sweeney Banac & Angel Reyes & Orchestra
2. Ombra mai fu SERSE by G. F. Händel Wilenfaye Molo & Orchestra
3. Der Vogelfänger THE MAGIC FLUTE by W. A. Mozart Krenz Sabanal & Orchestra
4. O mio babbino caro GIANNI SCHICCHI by G. Puccini Mary-Claire Furog & Orchestra
5. Habanera CARMEN by G. Bizet Jessa Bernaldez & Choir & Orchestra
6. Can Can ORPHEUS IN THE UNDERWORLD by J. Offenbach Dance & Orchestra
7. Entr‘Acte – Barcarolle THE TALES OF HOFFMANN by J. Offenbach Amera Grace & Jessa Bernaldez & Choir & Orchestra
8. Danse du Grand Calumet de Paix LES INDES GALANTES by J. Ph. Rameau Hanh Felicity Agawin & Dawid Rosh & Choir & Dance & Orchestra
9. Libiamo LA TRAVIATA by G. Verdi Jessa Bernaldez & Giddy Navarro Nalogon & Choir & Dance & Orchestra
OPERA BONANZA will be held on Tuesday, February 28th, starting 7.00 PM at Liceo U’s Rodelsa Hall, with the Senior High School Glee Club & Conservatory Choir, Next Moves Dance Company, and the Cagayan de Oro Symphony Orchestra under the baton of Prof. Bäcker and Concertmaster Tullio Vidmar. Tickets are at P299 and proceeds will be donated to the RNP Foundation. All students get a 50% discount upon presentation of their current school ID.
Otherevents lined up for the 68th Founding Anniversary are the RODELSA Lecture Series, Atty. Rodolfo N. Pelaez Debate Tournament, Intra-school Oratorical Contest, Research Colloquium, The La Castilla Blue and White Ware: A Photography Exhibition (Ayala Mall), 17th Cultural Season (arts festival), Service Awards 2023, H.E.L.P.S (outreach program), Liceo Student Ambassadors Coronation Night, Rise Up: A Variety Concert, Employees’ Day, and REGRESSO 2023 (grand alumni homecoming), among others.